You can make a difference ~ good foster families can impact childrens' lives for eternity
80-90% of foster kids who age out of the system, end up in a life of crime or sex trafficking. (Tony Merida, Know More Orphans Conference.)
Visit this amazing ministry, The Wellhouse, helping these girls escape lives of modern-day slavery. You can click on their links to find out ways to give or volunteer.
Link between foster care and human trafficking:*
• In 2013, 60 percent of the child sex trafficking victims recovered as part of a FBI nationwide raid from over 70 cities were children from foster care or group homes.
• In 2012, Connecticut reported 88 child victims of sex trafficking. Eighty-six were child welfare involved, and most reported abuse while in foster care or residential placement.
• In 2012, Los Angeles County, California reported that of the 72 commercially sexually exploited girls in their Succeed Through Achievement and Resilience (STAR) Court Program, 56 were child-welfare involved.
• In 2007, New York City identified 2,250 child victims of trafficking. Seventy-five percent of those experienced some contact with the child welfare system, mostly in the context of abuse and neglect proceedings.
Nearly 60% of children in the U.S. foster system will wait 2 or more years to be adopted.
51% of children in foster care are reunified with their parents or primary caregivers. 21% of youth are adopted.
Of youth who age out of foster care, 1/4 are incarcerated within 2 years and only 1/2 graduate from high school.
Children and adolescents with foster care experience are diagnosed with PTSD at twice the rate as U.S. war veterans.*
For more information on human trafficking, see this post with video.
* facts from this Huffington Post article
** facts from National Foster Care Coalition