Friday, February 20, 2015

Open




A challenge from Kate Motaung's blog: This is the place where once a week we take the chance to just write, and not worry if it’s just right or not.

For five minutes flat.

Here’s how it game works: you simply stop, drop and write. Set your words free. Don’t edit them, don’t fret over them, don’t try to make them perfect.

Today's word OPEN.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am a visual person.

So, today as we listened to the doctor describe my dad's open heart surgery, I was shocked by the description of the procedure.

I visualized the breaking of his chest bone.

The sawing in two, which would enable the surgeon to reach his heart.


This breathing of life, through a surgeon's hands, reminds me of Ezekiel.

The Lord trades our heart of stone for a heart of flesh.

We are cut open and made new by our faith in Christ.

That image of the chest cracked open, then wired shut to heal, and the pain for the the next few months, hurts my heart to think of the wound that will take time to heal.

And our Surgeon, our Father, cuts and molds. Shaping us into vessels which bring Him glory.

The pain, the scalpel, the sawing of flesh. It tears away comforts and peace.

He places my heart and my feet in places which are scary.

I want to close off. Keep it my heart close. Protect myself.

He tells me to step out.

To keep it open.

For His glory, not mine.




                                                             




 



{photo credit}

4 comments:

Laura Rath said...

I love your visual description of God working on our hearts! So true - the pain and the healing...and all for His glory! Visiting from Five Minute Friday. God bless!

Tammy Belau said...

Praying for your Dad's surgery, and also thankful for your description which so greatly sums it up for us. Trust.
Do we trust God to be able to break and reset our broken hearts with skill and care so that they will be even stronger when they heal?
Visiting from FMF (just a couple posts away in the lineup)
~Tammy

Melanie Singleton said...

Thank you for stopping by Tammy. Yes, trust sums it up doesn't it?

Melanie Singleton said...

Thank you Laura Ruth. A hard process for me to surrender, but such beauty when I do.