Sunday, March 9, 2014

Father to the Fatherless

photo credit:  Growingupwithoutafather.org
photo credit:  growingupwithoutafather.org

He executes justice for the fatherless and the widow, and loves the sojourner, giving him food and clothing.  Love the sojourner, therefore, for you were sojourners in the land of Egypt.  You shall fear the Lord your God.  You shall serve him and hold fast to him, and by his name you shall swear. 
(Deuteronomy 10:18-20)





You say to truly live is to die

My flesh wants to run, bury, and hide

From raw, fractured, heart-piercing places

Devastated, ruined, hollow spaces

A glimpse of my own life, my tattered dress

Fallen hard and damaged, such a mess

Shell of a girl, I think I have nothing to give

But You say come and truly live




You loved me first is what I hear

Filthy, at my worst, and full of fear

Adorned anew with jeweled crown 

Tenderly presented in shimmering holy gown

You do the work, your transforming grace

I seek your eyes, you hold my face

The apple of your eye, mercy abounds

Cleaned with your blood, lost is now found




This grace brings little children in and out our door

To sleep in our beds- our hearts never as before

You say the kingdom belongs to such as these

We cry out and fall upon our knees

Unworthy to the call, the task you give

You love them more and say simply submit

Our precious Savior carries us close to His heart

Sustaining us with hope when we fall apart




We were once the sojourner, the orphan, the helpless

You sought us and bought us, Father to fatherless

Rescue us from unbelief, may we trust you to bring justice

As you fight for the needy, poor, and defenseless

You hear their cry, hold them in your hand

Your ways we can never completely understand

You give us hearts that follow, hands open wide

Because you loved us first, to truly live is to die



 

No comments: